Small Town Trap

With Dreams of Breaking Out

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Ugh.

The kids' preschool director pulled me aside to tell me they are behind on their chicken pox vaccinations, and I will need to have that done before the end of the month. Or what, I don't know, but that's my deadline.

Now, here is my thing. Chicken pox? We have to be vaccinated for that now? So now not only can you create your own designer little blond haired blue eyed boy baby, but you can choose which relatively harmless childhood diseases they will suffer? (And I'm using the word "suffer" very sarcastically. I had chicken pox when I was thirteen, when it's supposed to be horrible, and it still wasn't that bad. It was a week of no school and daytime TV.) I can see being vaccinated as an adult if you somehow made it through childhood without getting it, but what is the use of preventing it? And I'm no scientist (obviously), but if everyone becomes immune to a disease, can't it mutate and make some yucky superdisease? I'm just not crazy about the idea of introducing more crap into my children's bodies than I have to.

If I make an issue of this, which I'm considering, then I'll be instantly labeled the dirty granola hippie mom because these preschool moms and teachers are, well, they're yuppies. I'm the youngest by at least seven or eight years. (And I'm not really all that young.) I just moved here, I don't want to start out by refusing to follow the rules, but I'm not comfortable with this. Does anyone else have any info/feelings/input about this? Please tell me I'm not the only dirty granola hippie parent. Please?

4 Comments:

At 9/13/2005 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it's one thing if your dr recommends it, you check i nto it and YOU decide to do it. For someone (a non medical someone) to tell you you have to have your kids filled up with chemicals...It's not their place.

Especially now when certain shots to "prevent" whatever has been linked to having caused many cases of autism...I say, you are NOT being a dirty gronola hippie...you are being a concerned mother who has the capability to think for yourself rather than have someone else think FOR you.

Oh, and I THOUGHT that your comment was funny too...and TRUE

 
At 9/13/2005 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would do my research and talk to a doctor and make a descion that way. We don't have that here in my corner of Canada and I wouldn't do my kids anyways.

 
At 9/13/2005 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the only reason why I agree with the vac's is because I never had the chicken pox, and as you know, it is very bad for adults-even deadly. I guess I'm one of those moms that just goes with the flow as far as the doctor is concerned. Unless I feel bullied or don't agree with what is being said. If you don't agree with it, talk to your ped, and do some research on it. You never know what you might find out!
~nicolerenee

 
At 9/15/2005 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that in IL you can claim that for religious reasons you're refusing to get the shot, but I think that might only work if you don't immunize at all. I think it's Islamic religions that are against it...and, Mormons maybe??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home